Tuesday, February 4, 2020

You Have Saved This City - The End of "Arrow"


Recently Watched:

Arrow
(TV-14; 43 min; 2012-2020)
(Stephen Amell, Emily Bett Rickard

“My name is Oliver Queen. For five years, I was stranded on an island with only one goal: survive. Now I will fulfill my father's dying wish - to use the list of names he left me and bring down those who are poisoning my city. To do this, I must become someone else. I must become something else.”

A year after “Smallville” ended, a new super hero show premiered on the CW. A show about Green Arrow, a character I had never been terribly interested in, and had just watched a lot of on “Smallville”. But being who I am (someone who gives pretty much every super hero show a shot at least), I gave it a shot.

And I fell in love.

Green Arrow started as a Batman rip off (he had an Arrowcar and an Arrowcave, which, in more recent days, Harley Quinn told him should be called “The Quiver”). So it was appropriate that this show said and showed us “Yeah, we totes want to do Batman but they won’t let us.”

And for 8 years now, “Arrow” has been my favorite show on TV. I’ve followed the ups, the downs, the YEAH MOTHER FUCKER! And the ALRIGHT FOLKS LET’S MOVE ON FROM THIS STORY with fanaticism.

I was hesitant when I realized that the guy playing Green Arrow was known only to me as the Punisher’s boy whore competition on “Hung”, but he quickly sold me. More so after I read about his approach to taking on the show. And then the man himself came to impress me as a human being. So that’s pretty cool.

One of the things that I love and will miss the most about “Arrow” is the fight choreography. For 8 years, it’s had easily the best fights on TV, week after week. I mean, the fight team was just fucking amazing. The only completion it had was the first season of “Person of Interest”.

Even “Daredevil” with its once per season HUGE AWESOME FIGHT couldn’t compete, because they had weeks to do that, and the “Arrow” team did it week in, week out, often with way, way more characters involved.

I’ve pretty much know how “Arrow” was going to end since the end of the “Elseworlds” crossover, because I remember how “Crisis on Infinite Earths” went and which role(s) from the comic that Oliver was taking. And I accepted that it was probably time for “Arrow” to end. I didn’t want it to end up like ”Stargate: SG-1”, “Supernatural” and so many other shows that overstayed their welcome.

But accepting that didn’t mean I wasn't heartbroken and weepy for the entire 10 episodes and 5 crossover episodes of the last season.

I love “Arrow”. I love the cast, the crew, the fans, the entire Arrowverse that it spawned. Something I never thought I would see on TV. I am pretty hyped about Amell’s new project ( a show about wrestling called “Heels”). I really hope they follow up on Diggle’s end scene (Boy, I couldn’t figure it out and then I was struck silent when it hit me!)

Thank you for 8 years and a whole new multiverse of adventure.

“My name is Oliver Queen. For seven years I have fought with only one goal: to save my city. But now a new threat has emerged. A danger so severe that it has forced me to leave my family in order to face it. And it won't be enough for me to just be the Green Arrow. To prevent the crisis that's coming, I'm gonna have to become someone else. I'm gonna have to become something else.”


You have saved this city 9/10



No comments:

Post a Comment