Tuesday, May 24, 2016

5-24-16 Game Forum Answer Bag

What Broke 4E (OP by Zardnaar)
The following is my opinion on the main reasons why 4E broke.

What follows is a tremendous amount of bullshit. Pretty much like every post Zardnaar has made. What’s sad is that this thread has 2,712 fucking posts in it!!!

[Any] How is D&D tacitly unrealistic (e.g. breaks the laws of physics)? (OP by Seroster)
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaa

PC's plan is awesome but stupid - should I let it succeed? (OP by EvilSchemer)
The plan requires several things to happen in order:

Doesn’t matter what the plan requires, and you’re asking the wrong question. It’s not up to you, as GM, to let the plan succeed or not. It’s up to you to adjudicate the rules required and let the plan unfold as it unfolds. If it works, yay for the players. If it doesn’t, that’s how it goes sometimes.

My dilemma as DM now is this: Should I allow the plan to mostly succeed?

As I said, that’s not up to you. And if you think it is, you need to step back and ponder if you should be running games or writing stories.

Let me be more clear - would you make the PC roll to succeed/fail - thus possibly discouraging out-of-the-box planning in the future? Or would you hand-wave and let it ride because it's a wacky plan?

Yes, I’d make them roll. If I were running a game that used rolls for those things. If you don’t want to leave it up to the dice, don’t use a game that leaves shit like that up to the fucking dice. I don’t understand why this is so hard for some people to get. But more importantly, if having to make the necessary checks to see if it works discourages your players from out-of-the-box planning, YOU NEED BETTER PLAYERS.

This case is especially tricky because:

No, it really, really isn’t.

Reply by Swamplor:
Only read the thread title.
Answer: Yes.

Fuck off.

This is where people's feedback is helping me plan. My natural tendency is to make some die rolls magically "succeed" in order to allow a crazy plan to succeed.

Then what you need isn’t feedback from the forums; it’s to stop, stand back and examine your flaws as a GM.

G1? Best module ever? Whaaaa? (OP by GamrGirlSue*)
Oldest? Sure. Classic. Yes, definitely. Best? You gotta be kidding me.

Oh my gosh, people have different opinions about things?!?!?!
*I’m still uncertain, based on GGS’ 38 posts, whether or not they are a gamer, a girl, or a Sue. Because most of their posts are pretty mellow but blatant trolling.

How do you want the forthcoming Middle Earth D&D rules handled? (OP by vivsavage)
Huh. I didn’t even know this was a thing. As for the question, I have no idea.

I need help killing a vampie party member D&D (OP by DerpyTurtle)
So, there is a vampire that had joined our group after I bought him as a slave. He later then turned me into his own vampire slave. And then another party member knocked out the vampire and ripped a chunk of him out so that I could drink his blood to become free of his control.

Fastforward and I started creating a city. My old slave/master then asks for a huge fancy building to be built in my city eevn though he had done nothing for me but turn me to his slave. He had even called ME his right hand man! Evn though I wanted nothing to do with him. Because he had drained me of my blood and that we had to force him to let me free of his control. Also, our DM had said that while he dosnt have control of me that he can still controll my vampire slaves which can be a huge problem since vampires will be the majority of my city.

So I want to kill him for turning me, disobeying his slave master because he sucked my blood, for sayying that I was his right hand man, that he deserved a spectacular house in my city, and that he can cause choas if he told my vampires the right things.

Anyway, he dosnt know that I had made a wish for me and my vampires to be able to enter any buildings since vampires normally need permission and since im a thief. He made a wish for when he dies that he dosnt need a coffin to regenerate back to life. So I was planning on having either me or a vampire slave stab him in the heart with a wooden steak in his sleep but im not entirly sure how I could lure him to his second home and kill him, any ideas or help you guys can provide? Any other murder attempt ideas? Btw because of dm trying to make vampires just fair somewhat, light dosnt kill, garlic has no effect, we cant cross flowing streams, no stat bonuses and I beilieve thats all. Thanks! (Sorry if that was long) (We use a mix of editions)

Nope. You’re on your own for this one.

[5E] Ammo (OP by Norrec)
Once he realized the flaw in his build the player decided he'd just buy bucket loads of ammo. They're fairly cheap and don't weigh much.

This made me realize... well the systems not really worth it, is it? If you've got three spears that you throw tracking them makes sense. If you have 200 arrows tracking them suddenly seems pointless. However I don't want to toss ammo out the window completely. It's likely at points in this campaign the party will be in 'survival mode', meaning no easy access to shops and blacksmiths. Food/water I don't bother with because if food/water is a problem then it's because it's a Serious Problem. Serious enough that saying you have a Food Ration isn't enough to solve it ("Ok, that gets you past breakfast. Now it's dinnertime. And what about the next month?"). I'm really hesitant to give up ammo completely.

I’d say either track the ammo specifically or don’t track it at all. I’m not a fan of the assorted roll a die, ix x then you’re out. That’s not how people track their ammo.  But since you specifically call out that they will be in “survival mode”, then IMO you should absolutely track ammo down to the last bolt, and that includes trying to reclaim used bolts and everything.

Ammo is a balance to being able to kill things from a distance.

By Vaalingrade:
My problem with tracking ammo is the fact that it penalizes ranged builds. No one runs out of sword and in 5e, you don't run out of magic either, so ranged builds are the only ones who can be rendered useless by means of logistics.

It’s almost like ammo is a trade off in that you don’t have to run up to the creature to kill it . . .

By Deliverator:
The problem with that argument, Sensei, is the third category: casters. They can both stay at range and never run out of ammo (cantrips).

Sounds like the problem there is with casters, not ammo.

From Arilou:
D&D's hit points system really breaks down when it comes to ranged weapons, honestly. You can kind of argue about hit points representing stamina, etc. for melee combat, but when it comes to ranged combat it gets... weird. "Well, I miss him 9 times but the 10th exhausts his reserves and he dies" just feels weird. Melee-wise you can fluff it as parrying, feinting, etc. but with ranged weapons taht either means you really only fire very rarely or you miss a lot.

Once again, as with every time, your lack of comprehension and imagination isn’t a problem with the fucking game.

[Savage Worlds] [Rifts] Savage Rifts!
Every single thing I’ve read about this so far tells me that, for all of the many, many issues I have with the Palladium system, I’d hate this one even more. 

Juicers, by their very nature, are the candles that burn twice as bright, but half as long. This wasn't addressed mechanically in the original game,

Uh, yeah, it was. In more than one place. With surprisingly extensive rules. If you’re that ignorant of the source material, you should probably hush about this subject.

I hope that people have fun with this, but from everything available so far, this conversion fails to capture Rifts on all levels.

How stressful is GMing for you? (OP by hyphz)
Not very. And if someone finds it to be particularly stressful, I’d recommend that they step back and take a break. Hobbies shouldn’t stress you out.

Why not simply copy a tattoo map? (OP by jasin)
Someone more practical asked why not simply copy the map.

So what are some fun, engaging, weird reasons why that's not feasible, or in any case less feasible than having along a recent enemy/untrustworthy ally?

I wouldn’t bother to come up with a reason. I’d think copying it was a great idea. And then someone else might use the map on the character to seek out the treasure/object/etc. If you don’t want anyone else getting their hands on the map, well, there are solutions . . .

It has come up, naturally, but we're largely trying to play the heroes here

Well, so much for some of those solutions . . .


More prosaically - the person in question flat out refuses to let you copy the map and insists on going to the destination with the party.
If the party aren't evil they should hopefully respect this and not just knock her out and copy it anyway.

What if they’re neutral?

I'm uncomfortable with how many replies in this thread deal with this character like property, and assume the party will do so unless they have ample reason to.

That’s nice.

Right. Especially in light of the threads about sexism in gaming, I'm really uncomfortable with the idea that people would sit there and roleplay either murdering and skinning, or forcibly stripping and fully shaving, a prisoner. The OP specified that the group are at least trying to be heroes - which I would have hoped would be sufficient indication to subsequent posters that these kinds of abuses would be out of character - but in any case, I would quit any group which was OK with going through with such a scenario.


And for you, also, that’s nice. Some people aren’t meant for some tables.